In this workflow, we’re looking for quick wins on topics for which we have a decisive advantage; namely, those where we have high Authority, low Personalized Difficulty, yet have a weak ranking.
The basic workflow consists of these components:
- Filtering the inventory down to a manageable shortlist of candidates.
- Sorting that list by a key metric so that we can focus on the best opportunities.
- Examining each item to determine what action take (i.e. optimize the existing page or create new content)
In this example, the filter is set to Ranking > 7 AND Topic Authority > 20 AND Personalized Difficulty < 31. (This will show all of the topics in your inventory you can get quick wins on based on existing authority.)
The list can be sorted on different criteria such as:
- Rank in ascending order to find topics you’re close to page 1 on. These are Striking Distance topics.
- Authority in descending order to find the topics you’re at an advantage on.
- Personalized Difficulty in ascending order to find your easiest wins.
- Topic Volume in descending order to start with high volume opportunities.
- Potential Value in descending order to find the overall most valuable topics to you.
Once you’ve determined the best course of action you can:
- Order a content brief.
- Start writing immediately.
- Add it to a plan for later follow-up by yourself or a team member.