The Dashboard is what you first see after logging into the platform. It’s your command center for all that’s content-related on your site.
Use the Dashboard to determine:
- What new topics to write about.
- What existing pages need updating.
- What content should be deleted.
- Setting priorities.
Click on Dashboard in the left navigation panel to access it. Click + to create a new one.
MarketMuse comes preloaded with several dashboards for various situations with the Starter Planning Dashboard set as default.
Select from a list of preset and custom dashboards.
Make the current dashboard the default by pressing Make Default.
Press to access our support hub where you can learn about this page, access MarketMuse Academy and learn to use MarketMuse like a pro, read our documentation, leave feedback, and chat with support.
Your Starter Planning Dashboard – This is a good dashboard with which to familiarize yourself and quickly get started identifying plans.
MarketMuse Suite Advanced Content Strategy – As its name implies, this board offers advanced content strategy insights.
Choosing a Page to Optimize – The modules in this dashboard can help you find pages that need to be updated and optimized.
Writer’s Dashboard – Designed with writers in mind, this dashboard helps them quickly find pages that are in need of immediate optimization.
Simple Striking Distance Plans – Those familiar with traditional SEO will appreciate this dashboard set up to help find topics where you can increase performance quickly.
Your Personalized Difficulty – This dashboard leverages the Personalized Difficulty metrics to build a personalized content strategy.
Filter Module Layout
Dashboards consist of two types of modules, Page Filter Preview and Topic Filter Preview that can be tweaked to better reflect your site’s inventory and business priorities. Both types of filters function in a similar manner except one applies only to topics while the other applies to just pages.
- Filter type – It’s either a topic filter or a page filter.
- Filter title – The title of the filter.
- Settings – Click to edit the filter title, and choose the filters and their values to narrow the segment of your inventory to which this module refers.
- Filters – Shows the filters’ metrics and their settings.
- Results – The top results for this module, either topics or pages.
- View All – Click to open the appropriate inventory (Pages or Topics) with the filters already applied.
- Contextual Menu – Mouseover a line item to see this menu which allows you to order a report on this item, add the item to a plan, run the item through any of the MarketMuse applications that your plan permits.
How to Tweak an Existing Dashboard
Existing modules within a dashboard can be modified by pressing the gear icon in the upper right-hand corner of that module.
- Module Name – Edit this field to provide a description of the module’s function.
- Module Description – Use this field to provide greater detail on the purpose and function of the module.
- Data Filters – Active filters display their value in blue. Press > to enter or update a value for a filter.
- Cancel Save Module – Cancel or save all changes to the module.
Pressing > beside a filter metric on the previous screen overlays it with controls to update that filter’s values.
- Filter – The name of the filter’s metric whose value is being modified. Press < to return to the previous screen.
- Operation – Select the appropriate mathematical operation.
- Value – Enter a value.
- Apply / Cancel – Apply or cancel the change to the filter.
- Clear – Clears the changes to the filter.
Filters are designed to return a limited number of items, thereby making the list actionable. Metrics such as Authority, Volume, Word Count, should be considered relative to your site and business goals. For example, an established site using an Authority value of 10 may have too many candidates while a brand new site using the same value may have no results whatsoever.
If you find a particular filter preview is generating too many results, adjust one or more of the parameters until you’re satisfied with the size of the list. You want as many candidates on the list as you can realistically handle.
Creating a New Dashboard
Press + beside Dashboard in the left navigation panel and a new screen appears.
- Title and Description – Enter the title and description for this Dashboard.
- Modules – Click on a module to add to the Dashboard.
- Handle – Grab this to move the module around the Dashboard.
- Trash – Click to delete the module.
- Gear – Click to make adjustments to the filters inside the module.
- Done / Delete this Dashboard – Click one to either save or delete the Dashboard.
Mix and match the modules as desired. You can have multiple Topic Filter Preview modules and Topic Filter Preview modules, each providing a different view of your inventory.